Thursday, October 18, 2012


By Alexia Krause



Janko Tipsarevic doing his best to qualify for ATP World Tour Finals




VIENNA, Austria (TheSportsNEXT) October 19, 2012: Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia did a world of good to his chances of featuring in the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals on Thursday when he outplayed Ernests Gulbis of Latvia in straight sets by 6-3 6-4 at the Erste Bank Open.






This is Janko Tipsarevic’s 13th quarterfinal of the current season where he will face off against Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia who edged out Donald Young of United States in a hard-fought match by 7-6 (4) 6-7 (2) 6-3.

Janko Tipsarevic is currently ranked ninth in the ATP Tour Rankings and he needs to be among the top eight best tennis players to ensure his inclusion into the year-ending ATP World Tour Finals.

Tipsarevic looked good with his game Thursday as he dropped one serve in each set but used his dominance over the baselines to topple his opponent.

Talking to reporters after his impressive victory, Janko Tipsarevic said, “I have to be pumped for every single point and not think what's going on behind me or ahead of me. The only thing I care about now is winning my next match. I don't think about winning the tournament or about reaching London”.

When asked about his consistency in reaching the last-eight encounters of the ATP tournaments, Tipsarevic said that Serbia winning the Davis Cup pumped new attitude and confidence into his game which has helped him becoming one of the most consistent top 10 players of the current season.

When asked about his game, the Serb said, “I don't feel I improved my forehand, backhand or serve dramatically. I just feel that now I am living and breathing tennis outside of the tennis court as much as I am on the tennis court. ... This changed after winning the Davis Cup. I realized I wasn't getting any younger and that I would regret it if I realized one day that I could have reached more in my career”.
 
In another match played Thursday, Marinko Matosevic got the better of wild card entry Dominic Thiem by 6-3 7-6 (5) to set up a tough quarterfinal match against Argentinean Juan Martin del Potro. Greg Zamlja outdid Matthew Ebedn by 7-5 6-4 while Paolo Lorenzi saw off Vasek Posposil by 6-4 6-4.

0 comments:

Post a Comment