Saturday, November 3, 2012


By Bipin Dani








MUMBAI, India (TheSportsNEXT) November 4, 2012: Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar was presented a wrist watch by Swiss watch company as a tribute to his 34 Test hundreds.




Sunil Gavaskar claims he was never late at toss. "In those days the home captain had to go to the opposition dressing room and invite the captain for the toss. I never made the opposite captain to wait", Gavaskar said.

Yet, the legendary opener was presented a wrist watch costing not less than 1.2 million rupees by the Swiss-made company, Ulysse Nardin told TheSportsNEXT.com exclusively on Saturday.

"We have made 34 pieces of this watch and one of them is presented to Sunil Gavaskar, who scored 34 Test hundreds in his career", Patrik Hoffmann, the company CEO said.

"This reminds me the 34 bottles of Champagne I presented to Sachin Tendulkar", the 64-year-old Gavaskar said. India's master-blaster Tendulkar was given 34 bottles of Champagne when he leveled Sunil Gavaskar's record of 34 hundreds.

Gavaskar scored his last Test hundred in his in-law's city, Kanpur, against Sri Lanka in 1986.

He will be completing his 25-year-of retirement on Monday. His last ODI was against England at Mumbai, on Nov 5, 1987.

Sunil Gavaskar came with a bandage on his injured finger on Saturday. "This also reminded me the finger injury I had on my first overseas with the team to West Indies in 1971. Unlike today, we had no direct flight to Kingston. Having halts at Dubai and night halt in London, my finger was shown to a doctor at New York airport the next day. Had there been no halt at NY, the gangerene would have developed to my finger, I was told by the doctor".

"I woke up today with the swollen finger and I made no mistake to seek doctor's advice and that's why I have bandage here", he showed his finger.





0 comments:

Post a Comment